Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Tips & Tricks for Adulting
Some words of wisdom about taxes
- When you get a paycheck, you have 2 kinds of income:
- Gross--Your salary or (# of hours worked) x (pay rate) BEFORE TAXES
- Net--The amount you "take home" after taxes have been deducted AFTER TAXES
- There are 3 kinds of tax:
- Federal (levied by the Internal Revenue Service [IRS])
- State (levied by the state in which you work)
- Local (levied by the city. NYC is one of 14 cities that levy taxes from income)
- Don't forget FICA which is a tax that funds Social Security and Medicare
- The 15th of April is Tax Day in the United States. Your tax form must be postmarked by 11:59 PM on that date.
Business Economics and Theory This link opens in a new windowThe Business Economics & Theory Collection offers instant access to full-text academic journals and magazines--with a strong emphasis on titles covered in the EconLit bibliographic index. Powered by InfoTrac, it includes more than 1,800 titles. Content is useful for starting a business, marketing a product, developing policy, analyzing trends, constructing economic models, investing for the future, researching rates, and more.
Business Insights: Essentials This link opens in a new window